Share this far and wide!
The AFA is calling on the BC government to implement a series of policy changes to protect BC’s last remaining old-growth forests and ensure a sustainable, value-added, second-growth forest industry including:
- A comprehensive, science-based plan to protect old-growth forests
- Financial support for sustainable economic development and diversification of First Nations communities, known as “conservation financing,” while supporting First Nations land use plans
- Facilitate sustainable logging of second-growth forests, which now constitute the majority of forest lands in southern BC
- End the export of BC raw logs to foreign mills in order to ensure a guaranteed log supply for BC mills and value-added processing facilities.
- Implement incentives for the retooling and development of BC mills and value-added facilities to handle second-growth logs
- BC Premier John Horgan
- Forest Minister Doug Donaldson
- BC Minister of Environment and Climate Change Strategy George Heyman
- BC Timber Sales
- BC Timber Sales Planning Forester Glenn Piggot
- BC Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver
- BC Green Party MLAs Sonia Furstenau and Adam Olsen sonia.furstenau.MLA@leg.bc.ca adam.olsen.MLA@leg.bc.ca