Write a Letter Today to Help Protect BC's Ancient Forests and Forestry Jobs!
Write an E-Mail Letter Today!
*Your message will be automatically addressed to BC's Premier Christy Clark as well as BC's Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations Steve Thomson.
If you would also like to send a copy to your local provincial political representative or Member of Legislated Assembly (MLA) then you may easily look them up here: http://www.leg.bc.ca/mla/3-1-1.htm
Simply copy their email and paste it in the box below.
British Columbia’s spectacular but threatened old-growth forests are increasingly endangered by industrial logging, despite their environmental and economic benefits while still standing. On Vancouver Island about 75% of the original productive old-growth forests have already been logged, including 90% of the valley bottoms where the richest biodiversity and biggest trees are found.
- Old-growth forests are important because they:
- support unique wildlife,
- provide clean water for salmon, wildlife, and people
- store vast amounts of atmospheric carbon
- support the tourism industry
- are central to many First Nations cultures
- Forestry jobs are declining largely due to:
- resource depletion from the unsustainable liquidation of the biggest best trees in the valley bottoms and at lower elevations.
- a failure to retool old-growth saw mills to process smaller second-growth logs and to develop value-added wood industries
- the export of raw logs to foreign mills, resulting in the loss of BC milling jobs.
We cannot afford to lose this ecological treasure - please take a moment to write a letter in support of protecting BC’s ancient forests and ensuring sustainable forestry jobs!
Do letters count? YES! Every letter represents hundreds more who feel the same way. Because politicians are dependent on public support, the number of people who write indicates the level of risk for them to stay in power due to the electorate’s views on their policies.
WRITE to the BC Liberal government, demanding that they:
- Undertake a Provincial Old-Growth Strategy to ban and quickly phase-out old-growth logging wherever old-growth forests are now scarce (eg’s. Vancouver Island, Lower Mainland, southern Interior, etc.)
- Ensure the sustainable logging of second-growth forests which now constitute most of southern BC’s forests.
- End the export of raw logs in order to ensure a guaranteed log supply for BC mills.
- Assist in the re-tooling of BC mills and the development of value-added wood processing facilities to handle second-growth logs.
SEND YOUR LETTERS TO:
Steve Thomson - Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations (FLNR.Minister@gov.bc.ca)
Room 248 Parliament Buildings, 501 Belleville St., Victoria BC, V8V 1X4
Premier Christy Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Room 156, West Annex, Parliament Buildings, 501 Belleville St., Victoria BC, PO Box 9041, SPG, V8W 9E1
Find your local MLA's address at http://www.leg.bc.ca/mla/3-1-1.htm
* NOTE! Be sure to include your full name and address so that the politicians know that you are a real person.
Download Printable PDF of this information