The Ancient Forest Alliance (AFA) is a registered non-profit society operating in British Columbia to protect the endangered old-growth forests of BC and to ensure sustainable, second-growth forestry jobs in the province. The AFA works through research, public education, and engaging key stakeholders and levels of government to achieve our goals.
The AFA is looking for a passionate team player to undertake the key communications and grant development responsibilities of the organization.
- Writing persuasive media releases, newsletters, and other campaign materials on tight deadlines.
- Writing major grant proposals and undertaking donor stewardship activities to generate revenues for the organization.
- Writing, designing, and managing online and hardcopy communication pieces.
- Managing the organization’s social media and website.
- Giving interviews with the news media.
- Delivering public presentations and talks.
- Helping organize and deliver public events.
- Assisting with database management.
- Supporting the organization in other necessary ways.
- Working with the Ancient Forest Alliance team to undertake these duties.
- Dedication to protecting old-growth forests and nature in general.
- Decent interpersonal skills and a team player
- Post-secondary degree in journalism, communications, English, environmental studies, political science, sociology, anthropology, geography, ecology, biology, commerce, or other relevant fields.
- First rate writing and research skills under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and organize multiple, simultaneous priorities.
- Strong interest in the science and the policies related to old-growth forests.
- Previous experience writing grant proposals an asset.
- Previous professional experience in journalism, writing, communications and/or marketing for environmental causes an asset.
- Proficient layout-out/design skills an asset.
- Previous experience working for and/or volunteering with environmental, non-profit, or green businesses an asset.
Pay: $30,000 – $34,000/year depending on experience. Contract position.
Location: Vancouver or Victoria
Anticipated start date: February 10, 2017
Job posting closing date: February 5, 2017
Ken Wu, Executive Director
No phone calls, please.
Email a single attachment containing both your cover letter and resume.