How to Get to the Avatar Grove in Port Renfrew, BC
Directions Coming from Victoria, BC – Drive time approx 2.5 hours
Click for larger image
A giant Douglas-fir (left) and burly redcedar (right) in the incredible Avatar Grove near Port Renfrew, BC.
Photo by TJ Watt
*** Please note: The Avatar Grove is wilderness area! Work has begun on the initial construction of a boardwalk (See photos here or click here to donate) in some areas of the trail but good balance and basic hiking experience is required in certain areas ie. possible muddy sections, slippery roots or slopes, crossing over logs, etc. The trail is not like Cathedral Grove! Please enjoy within your abilities.
- Watch for signs on trees now marking the way along the road! Click here as well for a printable map to the Avatar Grove and other tall trees around Port Renfrew!
- Drive to Port Renfrew along West Coast Hwy #14
- Immediately upon reaching Port Renfrew turn RIGHT onto Deering Rd.
- Cross the big bridge over the San Juan River and continue down Deering Rd. staying to the right at the next Y.
- You then cross a small single lane bridge and reach a “T” in the road. Turn LEFT at the “T”
- Stay on the main paved road and after approx. 5 km. you will hit a “Y” at which you go LEFT and cross a tall, beautiful bridge over the Gordon River.
- After crossing the bridge stay on the Gordon River Main for about 1.5 km. keeping to the right at the next “Y”.
- You will soon cross a small bridge at Baird Creek. Park on the right immediately after the bridge and look for the signs at the entrances on both the left and right side of the road to reach the Upper and Lower Groves respectively.
- The entrance to the forest on the right will take you to the Lower Grove which is flatter and has some giant burly cedars and large Douglas-fir trees.
- Head up on the left side of the road to visit the Upper Grove and see “Canada’s Gnarliest Tree” at the end of the trail! This side is a bit steeper and has many large cedar trees along side the path.
Here is a Google map showing where to go as you enter Port Renfrew
Point A is the Coastal Kitchen Cafe in Port Renfrew and Point B is the Avatar Grove.
View Larger Map
Avatar Grove Parking GPS: latitude = 48.6163043713, longitude = -124.438022154
- Please spend your money in the local community (and be sure to eat at the Coastal Kitchen Cafe, who hosted our last public info presentation in town).
- The Avatar Grove is on public (Crown) lands and in the unceded territory of the Pacheedaht First Nation. Treat the land and all creatures with respect, tread gently.
- Treat the local people and businesses with respect at all times. This includes any forestry workers you encounter. Our fight is not with the workers - it is up to the BC Liberal government to protect BC's endangered old-growth forests. Sustainable second-growth, value-added forestry can sustain forestry jobs while our ancient forests are protected.
- Gas is available at the Port Renfrew Marina & RV Park from May 1st - Oct. 15th, 8-5pm 7 days a week but be sure to have enough before leaving Sooke or Lake Cowichan just incase!